A team of the top five butchers from both the North and South Islands have been selected to represent their butchery and their Island in the competition, which will be held in Queenstown on 7 March.
The teams will have two hours to take a hindquarter of beef, a side of lamb, a side of pork and three chickens and turn it into a top quality display of creative and innovative products.
Retail Meat New Zealand Manager, Kim Doran, says the competition has really taken off.
“The inaugural year was more successful than we’d ever expected; the butchers are really excited to showcase their skills yet again, and a bit of healthy competition is always good for the industry,” says Doran.
The North Island team is made up of:
- Zak Grammer, Neat Meat, Auckland
- Ivan Mansell, Clarks the Organic Meat Specialists, Auckland
- Reuben Sharples, Aussie Butcher New Lynn, Auckland
- Matthew Spires, New World Green Bay, Auckland
- Peter Tuapawa, New World Victoria Park, Auckland
The South Island team consists of:
- Evan Buchan, Centre City New World, Dunedin
- Greg Egerton, Mad Butcher Anderson Road, Dunedin
- Josh Flavell, Raeward Fresh, Nelson
- Jeremy Garth, New World St Martins, Christchurch
- Kerry Tull, New World Rangiora, Christchurch
The North Island were the victors in the 2013 competition so the pressure will be on the South Island to take the trophy for the first time on their home soil.