Worksafe New Zealand is consulting on a suite of draft health and safety guidelines for those working in the agriculture industry.
Amongst the guidance materials for consultation that are relevant for meat producers are:
- How to meet your obligations under the Health and Safety in Employment Act 1992: a guide for farmers
- Safe use of tractors on farms
- Safe use of two-wheeled motorbikes on farms
- Handling sheep safely
- Handling cattle safely
- Preventing noise-induced hearing loss on farms
- Preventing manual handling injuries on farms
- Preventing slips, trips and falls on farms
Of particular relevance for meat processors, guidance for working with animals in yards and loading and unloading animals, plus principles for safe cattleyard and sheep yard design is included in the handling sheep and cattle guidelines.
Worksafe New Zealand is welcoming feedback on the materials. Anyone can make a submission on any or all of these draft health and safety agriculture guidelines.
The deadline for submissions is by 5pm on 28 March 2014.