It’s come to that time of year to take a look again at our team of leaders for next year, the Meat Blacks 2017.
We’ve noted a few changes in the red meat sector’s team management. New MIA chair (former Richmond Meats CEO) John Loughlin has taken over team management from Bill Falconer, who retired earlier this year. The coaching team has a new member Sam Robinson (former Richmond Meats chairman), since his recent appointment to the Silver Fern Farms board.
The backs also have a new coach, Sam McIvor B+LNZ’s new chief executive who replaced Scott Champion earlier this year.
The team has been strengthened with the Red Meat Profit Partnership’s Michael Smith and Natalie Bowie have been added as waterboy and cheerleader respectively – we’ll be hearing much more from them next year, I have no doubt.
However, there hasn’t been much change to the team itself this year, which seems to be settling down well.
There were mentions in despatches for our captain, Anzco chair Sir Graeme Harrison, who won the 2016 Rabobank Leadership Award, and for B+LNZ Economic Service’s Rob Davidson who became an ONZM in the 2016 New Year appointments (congratulations both!).
After being added at openside last year Graham Cooney retired from the Blue Sky Meats board and was replaced by Scott O’Donnell who is on the bench while we see how he performs. Anzco’s Mark Clarkson has been brought in as openside flanker, while he plays out the remainder of his tenure prior to retirement at the end of March.
O’Donnell will be sitting alongside Peter Conley, Anzco’s incoming GM, who with a solid background will replace Mark Clarkson on 1 April 2017.
- Loosehead Prop – Dean Hamilton (Silver Fern Farms)
- Hooker – Rob Hewett (Silver Fern Farms)
- Tighthead Prop – Tony Egan (Greenlea Premier Meats)
- Lock – Sir Graeme Harrison (Captain) 2016 Rabobank Leadership Award (ANZCO Foods/NZIBF) (Captain)
- Lock – Progressive Meats, Craig Hickson (Vice-Captain)
- Blindside Flanker – Collier Isaacs (FarmIQ)
- Openside Flanker – Mark Clarkson (Anzco) NEW!!!
- Number 8 – James Parsons (B+LNZ Ltd)
- Half-back – Gerard Hickey (Firstlight Foods)
- 1st 5/8 – Murray Taggart (Alliance)
- 2nd 5/8 – Andy MacFarlane (Deer Industry New Zealand chair)
- Centre – David Surveyor (Alliance Group)
- Left Wing – Rick Powdrell (Fed Farmers Meat & Fibre)
- Right Wing – Dan Coup (Deer Industry New Zealand)
- Fullback – Fred Hellaby (Wilson Hellaby)
On the bench: Simon Gatenby (Taylor Preston), Dr Tom Robinson (AgResearch), Kris Orange (Deer Farmers’ Association chair), William Rolleston (Federated Farmers chair), Peter Conley (Anzco) and Scott O’Donnell, Blue Sky Meats.
Team management: John Loughlin (MIA) NEW!!. Coaching team: head coach Mike Petersen (NZ agricultural trade envoy) Sam Robinson (SFF board) NEW!!, forwards , Tim Ritchie (MIA) and backs Sam McIvor (B+LNZ NEW!!), Sir James Wallace ONZM. Statistics: Rob Davison ONZM NEW!!. Waterboys: Malcolm Bailey/Michael Smith (Red Meat Profit Partnership).
Cheerleaders: Rod Slater (B+LNZ Inc), Nick Beeby (B+LNZ Ltd), Peter Chrisp (NZTE), Stephen Jacobi (NZIBF), Sharon Angus/Justin Courtney (SFF), Murray Brown (Alliance), Innes Moffat (DINZ), Trevor Walton (DINZ/Wham), Natalie Bowie (RMPP) and the Iron Maidens.
Referee: Nathan Guy (Minister for Primary Industries. Linesmen: Martyn Dunne (MPI) and Jeff Grant (OSPRI). TMO: Sam Lewis (AFFCO).
Commentators: Allan Barber, Ali Spencer (MeatExportNZ).
Looking good for 2017??