The fourth Beef + Lamb New Zealand (B+LNZ) Sheep Industry Awards will take place in Invercargill on Wednesday 1 July 2015.
“It’s fitting that the New Zealand sheep industry recognises and rewards its top performers, and in doing so profiles the significant contribution it makes to the New Zealand economy,” says B+LNZ Ltd chief executive, Dr Scott Champion.
“Productivity levels have improved dramatically over the past 20. Lambing percentages are 20 per cent higher than they were in 1995 and lamb carcase weights are up 28 per cent.
“This improvement is down to expert farm management, the application of great science on farm and genetics. These are the sorts of farming practices that have seen our sheep flock continue to produce the highest quality protein possible and New Zealand sheep farmers continue to lead the world.”
Dr Champion is inviting farmers, sheepmeat processors and others in the industry to join the organisation in celebrating the best of the best and getting their nominations in for this year’s awards.
Award categories cover genetics, production and business innovation. The genetics awards recognise New Zealand’s top breeders. These will be drawn from the B+LNZ Genetics SIL database. Another six industry awards will be made to nominated individuals or businesses, assessed by a panel of sheep industry experts.
The categories are:
- Sheep Industry Supplier of the Year, open to all New Zealand sheepmeat processors
- Sheep Industry Science Award, recognising a scientist whose work has made for a more productive and/or profitable sheep industry
- Sheep Industry Trainer of the Year, to a person enabling the best learning to happen
- Individual or Business Making a Significant Contribution to the New Zealand Sheep Industry
- Sheep Industry Innovation Award, recognising a standout contribution
- Sheep Industry Emerging Talent – this new award will recognise an inspiring industry ‘up-and-comer’
Nominations close on Friday 17 April. The awards nomination form can be downloaded from the B+LNZ website at beeflambnz.com/sheep-industry-awards.
So get thinking … and nominating!
Supplied by B+LNZ Ltd.