Five of the best butchers from each Island came head to head in a two hour long butchery challenge.
Competition judge, Todd Heller, says the quality of butchery this year was even better than the last.
“It was extremely hard to pick a winner as all the guys are such talented butchers, they’re doing great things for the industry as a whole,” says Heller.
As well as the bragging rights up for grabs, all competitors were also fighting for one of six places in the challenging team to trial for a place in the national team, the Pure South Sharp Blacks.
Those selected for this trial are:
- Evan Buchan, New World Centre City, Dunedin
- Greg Egerton, Mad Butcher Anderson Road, Dunedin
- Reuben Sharples, Aussie Butcher New Lynn, Auckland
- Matthew Spires, New World Green Bay, Auckland
- Peter Tuapawa, New World Victoria Park, Auckland
- Kerry Tull, New World Rangiora, Christchurch
These six butchers will face off against the current Pure South Sharp Blacks in September for a place in the 2015 team which will travel to Australia for the Butchery Tri-Nations.
The current Pure South Sharp Blacks are currently training to defend their 2013 Tri-Nations title when they take on the Australian and British teams in England this July.