That day, agricultural pioneers William Davidson and Thomas Brydone launched the first shipment of frozen sheepmeat from Port Chalmers bound for London’s docks. It was a hugely significant step in establishing New Zealand’s sheep and beef sector which now contributes $8.5 billion a year to this country’s economy.
Industry hopes that Kiwis here and around the world will come together with family and friends to acknowledge and celebrate this feat and enjoy delicious New Zealand lamb.
Other 2017 dates to note are:
- 15 March, AgResearch Meat Industry Workshop (Invitation Only), Hamilton
- 16 March, MIA Technical Workshop, Hamilton
- 28 March, Pastoral Greenhouse Gas Research Consortium conference, Palmerston North
- 1-7 May, World Iron Awareness Week, nationwide
- 30-31 July, Red Meat Sector Conference.
This article appeared in Food NZ magazine (February/March 2017) and is reproduced here with permission.