The red meat sector’s highlights for the year to end June 2015 are highlighted in the Meat Industry Association’s latest annual report:
- Total sheepmeat and beef exports were $7.3 billion, $600 million more than the previous year
- Exports of New Zealand beef rose by 36 percent in value to $2.98 billion and 11 percent by volume (420,118 tonnes) compared to the year ending June 2014
- China is now New Zealand’s second largest beef market – exports increased in volume by 44 percent over the year
- At $2.91 billion, sheepmeat exports earned two percent less than the previous year, but volume fell by six percent to 378,208 tonnes
- Edible offal had the most significant increase in the co-products category, compared to the previous year – value rose by 13 percent over the year to $211 million – while sheep and beef tripe increased 31 percent in value
- A new $8.7 million Meat Industry Research Innovation Partnership was established
- The New Zealand-Korea free trade agreement was signed.
This article has appeared in Food NZ magazine (October/November 2015) and is reproduced here with permission.