It’s come to that time of year to take a look at our team of leaders for 2016, the Meat Blacks.
The five new starters in the team last year made an impression, but the team generally seems to have settled down.
After a stellar performance in the trade/climate change field Minister for Trade/Climate Change Tim Groser is moving to Washington to become New Zealand’s new ambassador to the US, so he’s retired to the bench in the meantime. Craig Hickson, still celebrating being the NZ EY Entrepreneur of the Year, has been promoted to vice-captain, as Sir Graeme moves towards retirement.
Two new team members Silver Fern Farms’ Dean Hamilton and Alliance Group’s David Surveyor have played their way well to earn positions in the team over the year and Graham Cooney is being given a run out at openside.
Making way for them are RMPP’s Malcolm Bailey who has been moved to the bench as waterboy and, despite a blistering start this year, MIE’s John McCarthy has been quietly dropped from the team.
- Loosehead Prop – Dean Hamilton (Silver Fern Farms) NEW!!
- Hooker – Rob Hewett (Silver Fern Farms)
- Tighthead Prop – Tony Egan (Greenlea Premier Meats)
- Lock – Sir Graeme Harrison (Captain) (ANZCO Foods/NZIBF) (Captain)
- Lock – Progressive Meats, Craig Hickson (2015 NZ EY Entrepreneur of the Year) (Vice-Captain)
- Blindside Flanker – Collier Isaacs (FarmIQ)
- Openside Flanker – Graham Cooney, Blue Sky Meats NEW!!
- Number 8 – James Parsons (B+LNZ Ltd)
- Half-back – Gerard Hickey (Firstlight Foods)
- 1st 5/8 – Murray Taggart (Alliance)
- 2nd 5/8 – Andy MacFarlane (Deer Industry New Zealand chair)
- Centre – David Surveyor (Alliance Group) NEW!!
- Left Wing – Rick Powdrell (Fed Farmers Meat & Fibre)
- Right Wing – Dan Coup (Deer Industry New Zealand)
- Fullback – Fred Hellaby (Wilson Hellaby)
On the bench: Simon Gatenby (Taylor Preston), Dr Tom Robinson (AgResearch), Kris Orange (Deer Farmers’ Association chair), William Rolleston (Federated Farmers chair), Jeff Grant (OSPRI) and Tim Groser.
Team management: Bill Falconer (MIA). Coaching team: head coach Mike Petersen (NZ agricultural trade envoy), forwards , Tim Ritchie (MIA) and backs Scott Champion (B+LNZ), Sir James Wallace ONZM. Waterboy: Malcolm Bailey (Red Meat Profit Partnership).
Cheerleaders: Rod Slater (B+LNZ Inc), Peter Chrisp (NZTE), Stephen Jacobi (NZIBF), Sharon Angus/Justin Courtney (SFF), Murray Brown (Alliance), Innes Moffat (DINZ), Trevor Walton (DINZ/Wham) and MeatExportNZ.
Referee: Nathan Guy (Minister for Primary Industries. Linesmen: Martyn Dunne (MPI). TMO: Sam Lewis (AFFCO).
Looking good for 2016??